Collective investments include unit trusts, investment trusts and OEICs.

arrow people


Independent financial advice in Glasgow

With a collective investment, your money is pooled with other investors, which creates a larger capital sum. This enables you to hold a wider range of stocks and shares than otherwise possible for individual investors.

Collectives can also invest in fixed interest instruments, including gilt edged stocks – UK government stock – and corporate bonds.

Investment trusts

Investment trusts are companies listed on the London Stock Exchange; these companies' main interest is in investing shareholders' funds in other companies or securities.

Aside from this major difference, an Investment Trust is not dissimilar from an OEIC or unit trust.

Unit trusts

A unit trust is an open-ended type of collective investment: a fund of monies and/or investments, pooled and controlled by trustees. The aim can be for capital appreciation, income, or both.

As the name suggests, Unit Trusts are made up of 'units', each with its own buying and selling price. The number of units multiplied by the current price gives the current value of an investor's holding.


An Open Ended Investment Company (OEIC) is similar to a unit trust, except that it is legally constituted as a limited company. Since OEICs are not trusts, they do not have trustees. Instead, they have a depository that holds the securities, and performs similar duties to a unit trustee.

Contact our investment trust advisers to arrange an appointmentTimeMgt

While we are based in Glasgow, we are happy to travel to visit clients across Scotland and the rest of the UK. For free initial investment trust advice from our experienced financial advisers, contact us on 0141 272 0000 or fill out our online enquiry form.